Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Virginia Vacation







It has taken us about 2 weeks to return to normal and hence the late addition of our Family Vacation.




This year, we decided it would be fun to get a little history in and visit Washington DC. As we began planning, I just couldn't resist making a quick detour to my old mission stomping grounds and show the family around.




We flew into Dulles and then rented a Van and drove to Richmond Virginia. That first day was a very long day. I think we were all very ready to climb into bed that night. It was a good thing because we had planned to go to Williamsburg, VA the following day.




Its funny how you have a vision in your mind what each or your kids will like. I thought that this would really hit the ticket for Nick and Drew. However, it seemed that Stacey, Megan and Sarah got the most out of it and enjoyed all the things to see. Nick and Drew grew weary of all the walking and listening and we happy to just get back to the Hotel to Swim. I thought about leaving them all there but I am sure they would have found us...




The following day we arose early for the wonderful drive up to Charlottesville. Home of Thomas Jefferson and his estate, Monticello.

This was a very fun drive as it really brought back some memories of when I was there 25 years ago. It was fun to walk the grounds and see the history that pours from that place. I think that the Boys liked this one as much as everyone else. We

then made the drive back to Richmond to drive down memory lane. What I really meant was drive down Monument Avenue. When I was a missionary in Richmond in 1984, I used to drive my bike down the old Cobblestone road that had these huge Confederate General Monuments at each intersection. This was something that I was really looking forward to.

Well, the cobblestone road had been replaced with some sort of asphalt fake cobblestone road so it wasnt quite the same. At the end of the road, an additional statue had been added that seemed very much out of place. Arthur Ashe. With a bunch of Confederate Generals? Kind of Ironic I thought.

At any rate, we made a visit to the Museum of the Confedrecy and saw the Capital of the Confedercy. I liked it, I think everyone else tolerated their Dad. Then on to Fredricksburg to sleep and see a battlefield the next day.

Once again, the Pool was the highlight of the day for Sarah and the Boys. 98 degrees with 85% humidity, can really drag you down. The rest of the trip was spent in DC so I will put that in another post. All in All, the trip to Virginia for me, was pretty good, but I think my kids liked DC better.

1 comment:

Ann said...

How fun! I'm sad that you were so close to where I live while I'm gone.