After our Island hopping of yesterday, we decided we would venture to another island, this time via the Ferry. We asked at the Concierge the best way to Pier #5. He said take a taxi as it was about a 30 minute walk. But as we began walking towards the Piers, we decided that he was wrong and it was not that far. We purchased our ticket for the ride to Chang Chau.
There are 2 ferrys to the island. One takes close to an hour and the other is the "Fast Ferry" and is about 30 Minutes. We decided we would take the regular one over and then the Fast Ferry back. The cost was 18 HKD or about $2.00 for Deluxe Class. (You could go on top of the ferry and also you sat in the Air Conditioning) There were about 10 people in Deluxe and about 200 in Regular. It was definitely worth the extra $.30 to go Deluxe. We sat out on the back of the Ferry and watched all the different boats.
But after about 20 minutes, the Diesel Fuel fumes were getting to us and we had to go in. As you can see, we saw some very interesting boats on the way over.
This Fast Ferry was pretty cool. I was hoping that it was what we would ride back on but it wasn't. It really cruised. I would guess that it was doing in the 45 MPH range.
There were also lots of fishing boats moving around all the bigger boats.
Sometimes it looked like they were going to get run over but somehow, they all made it.
Chang Chau is an island with about 2500 people that live on it.
It is mainly a fishing village and has been in existence for about 2ooo years. There are no cars on the island and there are tons of bikes. We walked around and saw most of the village, then we went to the Beach,
and then as we were wandering back to the pier, we saw a sign that said, Mini Great Wall with an arrow. How could we resist. We walked along the stone path for about 20 minutes and we kept saying I wonder what it will be.
When we got to the end of the path, There was this little place to sit down and look back at Hong Kong Island.
I think this is when we realized, we had been walking on the "Mini Great Wall" of China or Chang Chau. It was nice but quite a workout. Up and down and stoney hard stairs. We decided it was time for the Fast Ferry. We headed back and purchased our tickets for the Fast Ferry Deluxe Ticket. It was 22.5 HKD or about $2.75 for the trip back. While we were waiting, Stacey said that she would like something to settle her stomach. I looked out and there was a McDonalds. We decided that it was worth a try. We had a Sprite, Hamburger and fries and it really tasted good. I don't think Stacey has eaten at McDonalds in about 4 years but she was happy to do it this time. It took us about 25 minutes to cover the same distance that took us an hour earlier. It was definitely worth the extra money.
After we got back to the pier, we needed to run up to the Hotel and get our passes for the Metro. We needed to go the the Tailor to pick up the shirts and the pants we had made. The man that did the custom fitting was really nice and everything fit great. It was a really kind of fun to do it and if I ever come back, I am definitely going to have some suits and some more shirts made.
Lastly, we needed to go back to the Temple Street Market to look for a Man Purse for me. I have one that I use when I travel that I bought in Prague a few years ago. I really hate it. I have looked for a long time but decided it was time. After a few booths, I found what I wanted and paid about $18.00 US for a Leather bag that I can use for travel.
Finally, we took the Metro back to our hotel. We stopped at Dan Ryans Chicago Eatery for Dinner and I had a Cheeseburger and Stacey had a bowl of Chilli. After this, time for bed. Both of us are tired and sweaty after the hiking and treking around the island and so we are done for the day. What will tomorrow bring....
No comments:
Post a Comment