The trip that we planned in January 2008 has finally come. We have been anticipating, Dreading, Looking Forward to, and fearing all the things that come along with such a trip. With preparations made at home, Grandma Bushell and her sister Vera Shippen taking care of the house, kids and dog, we set off on our adventure.
The flight from SLC to LAX was quick and uneventful. However, we only had a two hour layover in LA which I thought would be tons of time. Oh, no, We were flying to Hong Kong via Northwest so we needed to change terminals. This meant that you left the terminal you were in, went back out past security, found the bus to take you to the correct terminal, Check in at the NWA counter, then had to go back through security and then eventually get to your gate. This took us a bit of time. However, it did work to our advantage. When we were checking in at the NWA ticket counter. The Agent said that the flight was oversold and to let them know you would like to be upgraded. I guess I didn't really understand what she meant but when we got to the gate they were calling my name. I went up and they told me that I had been upgraded. They didn't know that Stacey was with me and she was set to sit between two people in the cattle shoot for the 11.5 hour flight. I started to ask about our options and the gate agent yelled at me and said we aren't supposed to do this, then she moved Stacey up into Business Class as well. (This was not really what I was asking).
This somehow made it bareable. They even gave us a menu to choose our in-flight meals. This was great. I don't seriously know how we would have made it the other way. The plane was packed and it smelled of people that needed a shower and they all seemed to be laying on each other. I think this would have put my wife over the edge. At any rate, it was a great way to start the trip.
Then we had about an hour layover in Toyko and then another 4.5 hour flight to Hong Kong.
Customs, train ride, shuttle bus, then Hotel and we made it. We got to the hotel at 11:30 PM friday night after leaving SLC at 8:30 AM Thursday. In all we were awake about 28 hours and we traveled about 25 hours.
This picture is for Drew. I thought he would want to see the big plane we rode on.
Saturday morning here and we are just getting up and going. Should be a beautiful day. Will post more later.
This is us sitting in the Courtesy bus zone in Kowloon waiting for our bus to the Hotel. We are tired....
Love you all and will talk to you soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment