Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hong Kong Day 10

Today was our last day. It is also my Birthday. For the past few years, I have tried to spend it somewhere else. Last year, I was in Cancun fishing with my brother, and the year before that, i was at some training in Phoenix. I have managed to be away for the most part so this was the perfect time for us to go on Vacation. In addition to being away, I want you to ponder this for a minute. My Birthday is tomorrow in Utah but yesterday in Hong Kong. What a Perfect way to look at Birthdays. They come and you don't really have to celebrate them. Well, the Conrad Hotel ruined this. but I am jumping ahead. First things first.

Today is Sunday and we planned to go to the same church we went to last week. This week was District Conference (Like Stake Conference). We took the Metro and got there about 30 minutes early and glad we did. The soft chairs were filling up quick. Funny thing about the church. It seems you always run into people you know. There sitting in District Conference was President and Sister Winegar. He was our Stake President and was sent to be a Mission President in Cambodia. They had come over to Hong Kong to attend a meeting with Elder Oaks (See yesterday) and because they had gotten in early, came to District Conference. The really funny thing is that the last time I had seen them was in the Airport in Kona, Hawaii 2 1/2 years ago. We were just coming and they were leaving. They had taken a last family vacation before they left for the mission field. Funny that we had seen them both times somewhere other than Layton. Conference was nice. They had about 8 speakers and the District President gave a talk on Tithing that was one of the best I have ever heard. He didn't use 1 scripture reference that you usually hear and he did a great job of pulling it all together. It was nice and interesting to attend a meeting where you have a number of different languages being spoken and so many different cultures all coming together to worship.
After church, we headed back to the Hotel to Change. We bought a panini from the bakery in the Mall below the Hotel and ate them in our room. Then we headed back out to run up to a market that we had not been to for some last items. We stopped by Jade Street Market on the way back and ended our Market shopping on Temple Street. We are done and If I don't do anymore bargaining and shopping for a while it will be too soon.

We spent the rest of our afternoon in Hong Kong Park. It is right next to our Hotel and it is very pretty. There were all these Older brides (about 5 or 6 that were in their 50's and 60's) that were there taking pictures. We didn't get the story behind it but figured it must have been some sort of renewing their wedding vows than first marriages. The Park was extremely full of people. Many of them newly graduated and taking pictures. We sat at the Olympic Award Pavilion (Any events held in Hong Kong were given their medals there) and watched wedding party's and graduates. Very interesting dynamics. Stacey wanted to do a Little Tai Chi so we did that for a few. Then after about an hour, we came back to the Hotel. When we were entering through the mall that is in the bottom of our hotel, we found a Grocery Store. Wish we had seen this sooner. They had all kinds of stuff for just about anyone. We decided we would each find what we were craving and do that for dinner. I had some Port Schnitzel and Stacey had some Ham and Potatoes. Ok for the big surprise.

We were sitting on the floor of our room eating our dinner and the phone rang. This was weird as it is the middle of the night back home so who would be calling. It was the Hotel staff and they wanted to bring me a Birthday Cake for my Birthday. When they brought it in, I asked who told them and all he said was Happy Birthday. The Card was from the Hotel Staff. I don't know how they knew but somehow I think it wasn't just a fluke.

Well, we have packed for the long flight home and we are ready to do it. We will get up around 4:00 AM Hong Kong Monday(1:00 PM SLC Sunday and begin the process of getting home. 4 hours to Tokyo, 10 hours to Los Angeles, then 2 hours on to SLC with layovers and such, we should be home around 1:00 PM SLC time on Monday. We actually get into Los Angeles a half hour before we leave Hong Kong on the same day. Should be a long one.

Well, that's it for now. I don't know when I will write next so for now, good bye.

1 comment:

Coopers said...

Thanks for the picture on the church! That is funny that it was just on the other side!

Also, happy (late) birthday! Looks like the trip was a lot of fun, but tiring. Thanks for keeping the blog updated!